Sport on the Doorstep of Deprived Communities
Doorstep sport provides the local community with an exciting, up to date sporting offer which enables more young people to access sport. Doorstep Sport highlights the importance of the right style of deliver to match the community, therefore changing the way sport is delivered across the country.
Through Doorstep Sport young people have greater ability to take control of their own lives, make a positive change and improve their communities.
Characteristics of Doorstep Sport Clubs
- Doorstep Sport Clubs are based within a variety of settings including leisure centres; community/ youth centres; outdoor facilities such as MUGAs & synthetic pitches, parks and schools;
- The format and content of DSCs are youth-led and shaped around the doorstep sport approach of ‘right time, right place, right price and most importantly right style’;
- DSCs are encouraged to provide a multi-sport offer;
- The coaches who run the clubs are special people - skilled in leading sport as well as in supporting young people to make the best of themselves. The coaches are local and know the communities they work in;
- Sessions are fun, friendly, informal and engaging;
- Participants are engaged via the use of direct engagement and promotion via word of mouth e.g. via outreach work, taster sessions and links into pre-existing friendship groups, schools/colleges and youth centres and the use of social media;
- DSC hosts work in partnership with other community organisations;